Special prosecutor Angela Corey has decided against using a grand jury in the case involving the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, her office said Monday.
“The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case,” the office said in a statement.
The grand jury, set to convene Tuesday, was “previously scheduled by the former prosecutor,” the statement said.
Corey said the investigation into the case continues. The state attorney has maintained that a grand jury is not needed to file possible criminal charges against George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who killed the teen February 26.
“We were anticipating that there would be no grand jury, because the family has always been hopeful that there would just simply be an arrest,” said Benjamin Crump, an attorney for the Martin family. “We believed, from day one, that they had enough evidence to arrest the killer of Trayvon Martin and now, as the evidence has continued to unfold, we think there has been a plethora of evidence to simply effect probable cause to do an arrest — not for a conviction, but for an arrest.”