Heavy D was best known as a rapper, but he had a multi-faceted career that was broader than the scope of the average hip-hop artist.
1.) Hip-Hop Exec: Heavy D was the first rapper to become president of established record label, Uptown Records. Jay-Z made headlines when he was named president of Def Jam in 2005, but Heavy D took on the same role at Uptown in 1996.
2.) Uptown Upstart: The first act signed to Uptown Records was Heavy D & The Boyz, and their success paved the way for Mary J. Blige, Jodeci and Soul 4 Real on the record label. Heavy D’s talent helped transform owner Andre Harrell into a mogul.
3.) Rapper/Actor: In 1990, Heavy D made his move into the acting world and landed roles in both film and television. He was even seen in high profile movies like Be Cool (2005) and Tower Heist (2011). See Heavy’s acting resume here.
4.) Commercial Checks: Before it was commonplace to see rappers as pitchmen in mainstream commercials, Heavy landed a very good look by doing a Sprite commercial. He undoubtedly paved the way for rappers to market themselves on a higher level.
5.) Ahead Of The Curve: Heavy D was one of first, if not the first, rappers to mention “cellular phone” in his lyrics.
Find out more about Heavy D at our sister site NewsOne.
Most Popular Articles
- CHRIS BROWN TAKES IT DOWN IN CLEVELAND [FAME TOUR VIDEO]
- Meek Mill Gets Tattoo On Chest…But It’s Spelled Wrong #FAIL
- Drake Goes Off on Social Media After #TakeCareComesWith Insults! [PHOTOS]
- RIP: Hip Hop Legend Heavy D Has Died at 44!
- VIDEO: Mistress Attacks Pastor During Sermon!
- Video: Ben J of New Boyz Getting The Beatdown By Hamilton Park
- Draya Wants You To Pray For Her & Her Sex Tape
- Amber Rose Shows Off New Hairstyle At “Master Of The Mix” Premiere [PHOTOS]
- Is Alicia Keys Pregnant Again? [PHOTOS]
- Video: R.I.P. Heavy D…Last Interview Before Passing At The Young Age Of 44