Details| 19 Action News
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Chief of Police Michael McGrath proudly announce that the 2013 City of Cleveland Gun Buy-Back will be held on Saturday, June 15, 2013, at Public Safety Central located at 2001 Payne Avenue.
In exchange for operable handguns or semi-automatic rifles (Assault Rifles), citizens will be given a either a $100 (handguns) or $200 (semi-automatic rifles) Target, gas or food gift card and two tickets to an upcoming Cavaliers and Lake Erie Monsters game.
In addition, they will be entered into a raffle with a chance to win up to $1,000. Incentives for surrendered firearms will be available while supplies last.
Cleveland Police have partnered with the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal, the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, the Cleveland Cavaliers, Burt Saltzman owner of Dave’s Supermarkets, the Cleveland Browns and the Police Patrolman’s Association to organize this year’s Gun Buy-Back.
“This community partnership will help us to prevent a tragedy in the City of Cleveland,” said Chief of Police Michael McGrath. “This is a strategy the City of Cleveland and the Division of Police have employed for several years. As a result of the Gun Buy-Back, someone’s life will be saved.”
“ArcelorMittal is proud to partner with the Cleveland Division of Police and Cleveland Police Foundation on the Gun Buy-Back program. It is a natural extension of our commitment to make our city a safer place for our employees and neighbors. After the guns are collected, we are pleased to melt down the weapons and recycle them into new steel which will eventually become consumer goods that improve the quality of all our lives,” said Eric Hauge, Vice President & General Manager, ArcelorMittal Cleveland.
How to Participate:
- Bring a working handgun or semi-automatic rifle (Assault Rifle) to Public Safety Central located at 2001 Payne Avenue on Saturday, June 15, 2013, between the hours of 8:30a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- The weapon must be unloaded in a clear plastic bag inside a second container (gym bag, backpack, etc.)
- Transport the unloaded and properly bagged weapon locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Pack ammunition separately. Non semi-automatic rifles (Assault Rifle) and shotguns can be turned in but no incentive will be given.
- Cleveland Police Officers will inspect the weapon to ensure that it is operable.
After the officers determine that the weapon is operable a $100 gift card will be given to those who turn in hand gun and a $200 gift card to those who turn in a semi-automatic rifle (Assault Rifle) and a pair of Cavalier and Lake Erie Monsters tickets will be given.
Everyone surrendering a gun will be entered into a raffle for a chance to win up to $1000!
Be sure to tune into the Midday’s weekly 10am-3pm with RoDigga!