This 2002 interview of Kanye West with MTV is an amazing reminder of how far the rapper has come (and how hardened he’s become post-fame).
Here, he’s practically a different person: thick Chicago accent, words all running into each other because that’s just how excited he is, a hunger to prove himself. One thing remains the same, though: He’s still just as passionate and nerdy about the music he loves as he was more than a decade ago.
He gets giddy recalling playing his beats for Jay Z for the first time.
And reenacts conversations and moments crucial to his beginnings.
He’s blown away by his own punchlines and zingers in his raps.
“Hold on, hold on, hold on, that line was too good! That line was too good!”
His passion and love when he talks about finally getting to fulfill his dreams often moves him to tears.
“I’ve got to always show love to Roc-A-Fella, D-Dot, Jermaine Dupri… it’s a lot of people that’s helped me in my life. But maybe now Roc-A-Fella is finally letting me get to the point that I’ve been wanting to get to my whole life, since third grade,” he says at the 25:29 mark, before wiping away a few tears.
And it’s particularly crazy to see him hoping that one day, he can be seen as more than just a producer.
“I feel like if I do what I’m supposed to do, people are gonna look back like, ‘Man, remember dude used to just make beats for people?’ I’m trying to get to the point where I can drop my last name off my name, you know what I’m saying? Seriously,” ‘Ye says. “I don’t want to jinx myself or nothing, but I’ma take this opportunity. Like, I got some songs, I got some stuff in my heart that the world need to hear.”
Also On Z 107.9:
See The Kardashian/Jenners Dramatic Transformation Over 10 Years
24 photos Launch gallery
1. When KUWTK premiered in 2007, the Kardashian/Jenner klan was still bright eyed and bushy tailed.
1 of 24
2. Kim Kardashian
2 of 24
3. Back then, she was known as the girl from the sex tape and barely knew how to pose of the red carpet.
3 of 24
4. Kim’s Love Life
4 of 24
5. Kim & Kourtney Kardashian before KUWTK debuted (2006)
5 of 24
6. Kourtney Kardashian
6 of 24
7. But her tumultuous relationship with Scott Disick kept fans interested in her story.
7 of 24
8. 3 kids and 10 years later, hot mama Kourt is single and ready to mingle.
8 of 24
9. Khloe Kardashian
9 of 24
10. We watched her fall in love and marry Lamar Odom within 30 days — and divorce him four years later
10 of 24
11. We also saw her try to get her mojo back with some of the hottest rappers and athletes in the game after a difficult divorce.
11 of 24
12. These days, the rumoured mom-to-be is spending her days in Cleveland with boyfriend Tristan Thompson.
12 of 24
13. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner (2007)
13 of 24
14. Kendall Jenner
14 of 24
15. Back in 2013, Kendall decided to take her love for modeling seriously and now she’s the most sought after supermodel in the game.
15 of 24
16. Kylie Jenner
16 of 24
17. But about six years into the show, the rumoured mom-to-be proved that she had the potential to be the new star of the family.
17 of 24
18. Rob Kardashian
18 of 24
19. Rob Kardashian And Blac Chyna
19 of 24
20. Kris Jenner
20 of 24
21. Kris and Caitlyn Jenner
21 of 24
22. Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble
22 of 24
23. Bruce Jenner
23 of 24
24. Caitlyn Jenner
24 of 24