CLEVELAND — Two 15-year-old suspects are now in custody after a deadly shooting Friday that took the life of a 12-year-old boy on Cleveland’s east side.
During a press conference on Monday evening, officials announced that the first arrested teen is being held in a juvenile detention center.
It is WKYC’s policy to not name juvenile suspects.
He made his first court appearance Tuesday for arraignment. The teen pleaded not guilty.
The second teen was arrested at 8:50 a.m. Tuesday at his mother’s address on Glendale Avenue in Cleveland.
Both boys are facing charges of aggravated and attempted murder.
More charges could be brought about as the investigation continues. Both could be tried as adults.
Mayor Frank Jackson, Police Chief Calvin Williams, and Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O’Malley were among those present at Monday’s press conference at Cleveland City Hall.
O’Malley told reporters that it’s clear there’s an “epidemic of youth violence” in the city of Cleveland.
WKYC spoke to the great-grandmother of one of the suspects, who said she was heartbroken after U.S. Marshals came to her house to arrest her 15-year-old great-grandson.
Ruth (who asked us not to use her last name) further claims her great-grandson wasn’t even at the the shooting and was actually in Garfield Heights at the time, citing witnesses to prove it. She further called him a “great kid” who had been “hanging around the wrong crowd.
READ MORE: WKYC.com
Article Courtesy of WKYC Channel 3 News Cleveland
Picture Courtesy of South_Agency and Getty Images