He helped raise monies and brought to light some of the major issues plaguing the small country during that time. But a recent report says he more than did some charity. He allegedly squandered off relief effort funds. The New York Post reports that only a fraction of the $16 million collected in the name of Haitian relief efforts has been given to the country’s recovery.
Jean’s charity, Yele Haiti gave out several questionable contracts. One of which ($1 million) was paid to a Florida firm that doesn’t even exist.
The New York Post also reported that a company called P&A Construction – which is run by Warnel Pierre, Jean’s brother-in-law — received $353,983 from the group.
But this isn’t the first time his organization, founded in 2005 with cousin Jerry Duplessis, has been in trouble. In 2008, reports emerged that proper tax documents were not filed for the foundation.
Also in 2009 the charity somehow lost $244,000.
After the earthquake hit, Jean went to Twitter asking for $5 donations. Shortly thereafter Yele Haiti made a donation to a TV station run by Jean and his cousin.
In a 2010 press conference, the singer defended his charity saying, “Did I ever use Yele money for personal benefits? Absolutely not. Yele’s books are open and transparent.”
Most Popular Articles
- Meek Mill Gets Tattoo On Chest…But It’s Spelled Wrong #FAIL
- VIDEO: Mistress Attacks Pastor During Sermon!
- – Rumored NICKI MINAJ And DRAKE SEXTAPE!! (Warning EXTREMELY GRAPHIC CONTENT)
- Drake Goes Off on Social Media After #TakeCareComesWith Insults! [PHOTOS]
- RIP: Hip Hop Legend Heavy D Has Died at 44!
- Draya Wants You To Pray For Her & Her Sex Tape
- Amber Rose Shows Off New Hairstyle At “Master Of The Mix” Premiere [PHOTOS]
- Video: R.I.P. Heavy D…Last Interview Before Passing At The Young Age Of 44
- L.A. Basketball Wife Draya’s Secret Sextape!
- Trina Works The Strip Pole For New Video “Red Bottoms” [PHOTOS]