[Woldcnews] : The HIV infection rate for heterosexual African American women in the District’s poorest neighborhoods nearly doubled in two years, from 6.3 percent to 12.1 percent, according to a study released Wednesday by the D.C. Department of Health.
The large increase reflects wider testing of people who were previously unaware of their status and possibly a still-rising rate of new infections in that high-risk group, officials said.
The disease remains at epidemic levels in Washington. In releasing the study, District health officials announced new recommendations for doctors and other health-care providers to start treatment immediately for all people newly diagnosed with HIV instead of waiting for evidence that someone’s immune system has been severely damaged.
READ MORE: Washington Post
- Summer Jam Spy Is In The Streets with Tickets [CONTEST]
- Trey Songz Gets Wet & Playful For Self Magazine’s 2012 July Music Issue
- Lil’ Kim Gets It In At Concert In Texas [PHOTOS]
- Watch Now: Rick Ross’ “Touch’N You” Video Featuring Usher
- Guess Who’s Taking The Leading Role On “The Game”?
- We Don’t Believe You…You Need More People! “Love & Hip Hop” ATL’s Star Joseline Tweets Naked Pic….So You Know She’s Real! O_o
- Take The Poll: NBA Finals Game 5 Tonight! If Lebron Wins That Championship Ring…Will People Finally Let Him Be?
- EXCLUSIVE: Lil Wayne Wants Drake to End Chris Brown Beef … NOW!
- Dayuuum!: Halle Berry Ordered To Pay WHAT In Child Support?!!!
- Are You Ready For Tyga @ #Z1079SummerJam 2012
Like z1079 on Facebook to stay on top of your favorite black celebrities