Gabrielle Douglas is the favorite to win the women’s all-around gold medal this year in gymnastics at the 2012 Summer Olympics. Douglas is now only the second African-American woman to win an Olympic gold medal but is the only and first to get all-around gold medal for women’s gymnastics. Gabby’s grace and flexibility impress the judges on the balance beam and uneven bars, and at age 15 is a star in the making in the floor exercise competition. We think you should definitely keep your eyes on Gabby.
Here are 10 things you didn’t know about this young Olympian:
1) She is nicknamed Flying Squirrel for her aerial exploits on the uneven bars.
2) Gabby started gymnastics when she was 6 years old, after her sister Arielle convinced her mother to let her do gymnastics.
3) She was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the rest of the USA Women’s Olympic Gymnastics team on the July 18, 2012 issue of Olympic Preview. This marked the first time an entire Olympic gymnastics team had been featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
4) Her role model: fellow gymnast Dominique Dawes
5) She has three family members in sports: Arielle – ballroom dancing. Joyelle – figure skating. Johnathan – football, track and martial arts.
6)Hobbies: Reading, knittin
7) Favorite book: Twilight
8) Favorite TV show(s): Vampire Diaries
9) Favorite Food: Mexican and Italian
10) Favorite school subject: English
Watch this video chronicling Gabrielle’s journey to the Olympics