The victim of a bloody ambush Monday in Dorchester is now denying that she told detectives the father of her baby son held her down her while his new girlfriend stabbed her repeatedly with a butcher’s knife! WTH!
Prosecutors say 21 year old Angeleek Barros, told detectives moments after the assault that her ex boyfriend, Daquan Sparks, seen above, restrained her while 17 year old Samia Jones, stabbed her six times with a blade that measured 10 to 12 inches long.
But in an interview at Boston Medical Center with police a day after the attack, Barros changed her story, saying Sparks was there during the attack but did not restrain her, said Jennifer OKeeffe, Suffolk assistant district attorney, during Sparks’ arraignment Friday morning in Dorchester District Court. Barros is saying she never told detectives that Sparks held her.
“I will say I spoke with detectives Doogan and Schroeder, who were very clear on what Miss Barros originally reported to them, that the defendant held her down while she was stabbed,” OKeeffe said. Authorities have said Sparks, lured Barros to the stabbing by saying he wanted to give their 8-month-old child a pair of sneakers. Sparks also has a 4-month-old child with Jones.
Barros was pushing her son in a stroller when she was attacked in Savin Hill , according to police. The boy was not hurt, but Barros had punctures to her liver and spleen. She was listed in serious but stable condition.
Sparks showed no emotion during the arraignment. His lawyer, Jessica Tripp, said he was present during the attack but was unaware of what was about to happen and did not participate. Tripp said Sparks told her that he received a cellphone call just before the attack and walked away from Barros. Jones then “appeared out of nowhere,’’ Tripp said.
“It’s very stressful for him, but we know that once all the facts come out that we’re confident that he’ll be exonerated,” she said. “We believe there will be information in the phone records that will support Mr. Sparks’ version of events.”
Tripp told Judge Rosalind Miller that her client lives in South Boston with his sister and that he was looking forward to starting a job with Youthbuild, which provides vocational and academic training for at-risk youth. A woman who attended the arraignment and identified herself as Barros’s godmother said she does not buy Sparks’ assertion that he did not restrain her. She added that Barros is recovering.
“She’s doing well, she’s fine and the child is fine,” the woman said. Another woman identified herself as the victim’s grandmother, but declined comment. Both women declined to give their names as they walked out of the courthouse. Boston police’s Fugitive Apprehension Team searched for Sparks for two days, arresting him in Quincy on a probation violation stemming from a drug conviction.
In this newest case, Miller ordered Sparks held on $75,000 cash bail, which is $25,000 more than the amount set for Jones at her arraignment Tuesday. Sparks was also ordered held without bail on the probation violation.
Sparks and Jones were charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and assault to murder, but Sparks has an additional charge of assault and battery. The pair had not-guilty pleas entered on their behalf.
Sparks has a lengthy arrest record dating back to when he was 10 years old, officials said. Dan Wight, a probation officer, said Sparks “had been arrested pretty much every calendar year” from that age on. His record includes charges of assault and battery, larceny, and drug possession.
A woman who only identified herself as a relative of Sparks said he is innocent. “He has a heart; he’s not going to set his own baby’s mother up,” the woman said, walking down the steps of the courthouse.
What do you think?