Alex Rodriguez has no plans to hash out a deal with Major League Baseball amid allegations of involvement in performance enhancement drugs. A source close to the situation confirmed toUSA Today Sports that the New York Yankees third baseman is still receiving legal counseling on the matter, but will fight any imposed suspension.
Rodriguez showed up at training site in Tampa today, briefly speaking to reporters– but not about the scandal. “I feel great,” he said of his condition after surgery in January. “That’s all I have to say.”
MLB is willing to suspend the New Yorker for a minimum of 100 games over his involvement in a cover up surrounding the now closed Bigoensis rejuvenation clinic, and ties to convicted smuggler Dr. Anthony Galaea.
The 37-year-old confessed to steroid use between 2001 and 2003. Earlier in the month he and lawyers flew to Tampa to meet with MLB investigators, where they were presented with more evidence pointing to the athlete’s guilt.
A-Rod’s drug scandal is the tip of an iceberg threatening his legacy. Although it’s not likely that a lifetime ban will be imposed on the multi-millionaire, a rep believes the Yankees are scheming to keep Rodriguez off the field. He was scheduled to play Monday (July 29), which was nixed after he was diagnosed with a strained left quadricep. “He wants to play and they won’t let him play,” a source told ESPNNewYork.com. “Nobody knows Alex’s body better than he does.”
Steroid claims have run rampant across the sports world as a whole, but baseball has come under particular scrutiny. In January, Sammy Sosa, Roger Clemens, and Barry Bonds were denied induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame after allegations of steroid use.
Depending on MLB’s decision, Rodriguez could lose $14 million. He signed a $275 million decade long contract with the Yankees in 2007, and will be paid out approximately $87 million regardless of the investigation’s outcome.