Sasha Fierce is not dead; she’s still alive!
Beyonce set the record straight about her many alter egos during a release party and directors’ screening for her recently released self-titled album in New York City yesterday. Along with addressing Sasha Fierce and Mrs. Carter, the international pop star shared the story behind newly-introduced Yoncé.
She said the birth of Yoncé, a nickname and title for the seventh video on her visual album, started during a studio session with Justin Timberlake and The-Dream.
“We were in the studio, and Justin Timberlake started beating on buckets. So, when you hear the beat, it’s literally a bucket. It was really organic, and it reminded me of being in middle school during the lunch breaks, when you just start freestyling,” Beyonce told the crowd. “So we kept the buckets, and we went back and forth. I was very adamant about keeping it organic, because that whole element is what is so beautiful about it. And Dream just started, ‘Yoncé on his mouth like liquor,’ and I’m like, ‘What does that mean?’ But I love it.”
“I think Beyoncé is Beyoncé, Mrs. Carter is Beyoncé, Sasha Fierce is Beyoncé. And I’m finally at a place where I don’t have to separate the two,” she explained. “It’s all pieces of me, and just different elements of a personality of a woman, because we are complicated.”
She went on to say that Beyonce is her most personal album because her husband Jay Z and daughter Blue Ivy appear in the material.
“I have always been very generous, I have been generous on stage and take my pain and joy into my performance,” she said. “But I’m private… I think it just took me not being anyone’s child. Once I had a child, I broke down that fourth wall. I feel liberated, and I feel like I can give my heart to people.”
“My father taught me so, so much,” she continued. “When I decided to manage myself, it was important to me not to sign to some big company. I wanted to follow in Madonna’s footsteps and be a powerhouse. When you get to this level, you don’t have to share your money or your success… And we did it. And it’s my company.”
“This is my first album that — of course I wanted people to love it and critics to love it and for it to be successful — but my goal was not picking a No. 1 single,” she said. “My goal was putting together a body of work, and I just wanted to know that people cared about music. Honestly, I was at a point where everything feels the same. What I said in ‘Ghost,’ ‘All the shit I do is boring,’ is true. And if I could not challenge that, then maybe it was time for me to do something else or develop more artists, which is something that I could do, but just growth. I just hope that I continue to move forward and challenge myself. I think that now that I’ve become a mother, I just want my legacy to inspire people. That’s the biggest goal, just having happiness and knowing that when people come to my shows, they can leave all the madness and leave there knowing that there is hope.”
“More than the music, I’m proud of myself as a woman,” she added. “It’s about loving your imperfections and the things that make you interesting, because I refuse to let anyone put me in a box.”
Check out footage from the screening above!
BOW DOWN: 2013 Was The Year Of Beyonce
1. Whew! What a Year!1 of 30
2. February: Superbowl SHUT DOWN2 of 30
3. February: Destiny's Child Reunited3 of 30
4. February: Still Slaying Even Without A Gown4 of 30
5. February: Life Is But A Dream Debuts5 of 30
6. February: Bey Gets Oprah's Stanship6 of 30
7. February: GQ Cover Slays Newsstands7 of 30
8. March: "I Been On/Bow Down" Releases8 of 30
9. March: Vogue's 'Power' Issue9 of 30
10. March: Shape Magazine Cover10 of 30
11. April: Bey's Nippy Bodysuit11 of 30
12. April: Kicks Off The Epic "The Mrs. Carter World Tour"12 of 30
13. April: Pepsi Max Unveils Global Beyonce Campaign13 of 30
14. April: H&M Launches Swimsuit Campaign14 of 30
15. May: Anniversary Trip to Cuba15 of 30
16. May: One Glass of Wine Shuts Down All Rumors16 of 30
17. May: Met Gala17 of 30
18. May: Beyonce Cover British Vogue18 of 30
19. June: Headlines 'Chime For Change'19 of 30
20. August: Shatters Instagram With Short 'Do20 of 30
21. August: Pixie Cut Turns Into A Blunt Bob At V Festival21 of 30
22. August: Budweiser Made In America Festival Benefiting The United Way22 of 30
23. September: Watch The Throne! Jay & Bey Top Forbes' Richest Couple List23 of 30
24. October: The Photobomb That Really Wasn't24 of 30
25. November: The Quiet Before The Storm25 of 30
26. December: Bey Ousts Kim As Bings' Most Searched Celeb26 of 30
27. December: Beyoncé27 of 30
28. December: Bey Shops It Up At Walmart, Clearly Ignores Target28 of 30
29. December: Bey Attends Her Visual Album Screening29 of 30