Unlike in NYPD officer Daniel Panteleo’s case, a Staten Island grand jury panel was less sympathetic to Ramsey Orta, the man who filmed Eric Garner’s fatal police encounter.
A Staten Island grand jury Wednesday decided not to indict Pantaleo, who put Garner (pictured right), an unarmed Black man, in a chokehold shortly before his death, the Huffington Post reports.
Nearly a month after filming the July 17 incident between the officer and Garner, who was accused of selling loose, untaxed cigarettes, a grand jury indicted Orta on weapons charges that stemmed from an arrest by undercover officers in August.
Police charged that Orta tried to conceal a .25 caliber handgun in the waistband of a teenage accomplice while standing outside a New York hotel, the news outlet writes. Orta argued that the charges were trumped up by police as payback for his role in filming Garner’s death. The grand jury, however, rejected Orta’s allegation, charging him with single felony counts of third-degree criminal weapon possession and criminal firearm possession.
In Panetaleo’s case, however, jurors decided there was not probable cause that the officer had committed a crime in Garner’s death. A medical examiner ruled the death a homicide, resulting in part from the chokehold, a restraining move banned by the NYPD in 1993.
#ICantBreathe: Protestors Demand Justice For Eric Garner
1. Eric Garner's Life Will Not Be Stolen In Vain1 of 31
2. Eric Garner Supporters Stop NYC's Busiest Commuters In Their Tracks2 of 31
3. Grand Central Station Die-In3 of 31
4. Protestors In NYC Demonstrating A Die-In4 of 31
5. Don't Shoot. I'm Black.5 of 31
6. Justice Denied6 of 31
7. Reverend Al Sharpton Marches7 of 31
8. Police Standoff With Protestors8 of 31
9. A Man Gets Gets Arrested While Protesting9 of 31
10. A Protestor Gets Arrested10 of 31
11. Ferguson Is Everywhere11 of 31
12. I Can't Breathe12 of 31
13. NYC Die-In13 of 31
14. I Might Be Next14 of 31
15. United We Stand15 of 31
16. NYC Protestors Run16 of 31
17. NYPD Officers Block Protestors17 of 31
18. Eric Garner Died Because Of Loose Cigarettes18 of 31
19. Grand Central Station Die-In19 of 31
20. White Man Chokes Himself For Eric Garner20 of 31
21. Demilitarize The Police21 of 31
22. Protestors Blocking An Intersection In Washington, D.C.22 of 31
23. Enough Is Enough23 of 31
24. Black Lives Matter24 of 31
25. Protestors Interrupt Commuters Trying To Get Home25 of 31
26. Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony Attended By Protestors26 of 31
27. Grand Central Station27 of 31
28. Teaching Our Children Their Lives Matter28 of 31
29. Tears For Eric Garner29 of 31
30. Black Lives Matter30 of 31
31. Philadelphia's Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony Attending By Eric Garner Supporters31 of 31
Grand Jury Indicts Man Who Filmed Eric Garner Instead of Chokehold Cop was originally published on newsone.com