Rev. Jesse Jackson, Sr. joined Roland Martin on NewsOne Now via phone to discuss the Emanuel AME massacre that claimed the lives of nine worshipers.
Rev. Jackson told Martin, “It’s a painful scene — one night you’re looking at LeBron and Curry having fun and watching our boys play with their skills, and the next day you look up and this act of terrorism — it’s a hot and cold water shower.”
Jackson believes the alleged shooter Dylann Roof, who is now in custody, “was taught to hate.”
“He is not merely the cause of something, he is the result of something — after all, this state (South Carolina) still brandishes the Confederate flag — about to close South Carolina State — Walter Scott was shot and killed, shot in the back by a policeman a few months ago — [South Carolina] is the number one state in infant mortality, number one in short life expectancy.”
“This is a culture of terror against Black people and we need to call it what it is.”
Rev. Jackson later added, “This is a season of terror and there has not yet been a definitive plan to fight this internal racial terror.”
Despite having a White House conference on racism and racial justice, Jackson said, “A rising tide does not lift these boats. The Black boats are stuck to the bottom.”
Watch Roland Martin, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Sr., and the NewsOne Now panel discuss the deadly mass shooting and the terroristic nature of the act by alleged shooting suspect Dylann Roof in the video clip above.
Be sure to watch “NewsOne Now” with Roland Martin, weekdays at 9 a.m. EST on TV One.
Subscribe to the “NewsOne Now” Audio Podcast on iTunes.
Hate Crime In Charleston: 9 Dead In Shooting At Historical African American Church, Suspect In Custody
Rev. Jesse Jackson Calls AME Church Massacre An Act Of Terrorism was originally published on newsone.com
Also On Z 107.9:
See The Kardashian/Jenners Dramatic Transformation Over 10 Years
24 photos Launch gallery
1. When KUWTK premiered in 2007, the Kardashian/Jenner klan was still bright eyed and bushy tailed.
1 of 24
2. Kim Kardashian
2 of 24
3. Back then, she was known as the girl from the sex tape and barely knew how to pose of the red carpet.
3 of 24
4. Kim’s Love Life
4 of 24
5. Kim & Kourtney Kardashian before KUWTK debuted (2006)
5 of 24
6. Kourtney Kardashian
6 of 24
7. But her tumultuous relationship with Scott Disick kept fans interested in her story.
7 of 24
8. 3 kids and 10 years later, hot mama Kourt is single and ready to mingle.
8 of 24
9. Khloe Kardashian
9 of 24
10. We watched her fall in love and marry Lamar Odom within 30 days — and divorce him four years later
10 of 24
11. We also saw her try to get her mojo back with some of the hottest rappers and athletes in the game after a difficult divorce.
11 of 24
12. These days, the rumoured mom-to-be is spending her days in Cleveland with boyfriend Tristan Thompson.
12 of 24
13. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner (2007)
13 of 24
14. Kendall Jenner
14 of 24
15. Back in 2013, Kendall decided to take her love for modeling seriously and now she’s the most sought after supermodel in the game.
15 of 24
16. Kylie Jenner
16 of 24
17. But about six years into the show, the rumoured mom-to-be proved that she had the potential to be the new star of the family.
17 of 24
18. Rob Kardashian
18 of 24
19. Rob Kardashian And Blac Chyna
19 of 24
20. Kris Jenner
20 of 24
21. Kris and Caitlyn Jenner
21 of 24
22. Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble
22 of 24
23. Bruce Jenner
23 of 24
24. Caitlyn Jenner
24 of 24