LeBron James is paying it forward by covering the college tuition of over one thousand kids with the help of his “I Promise” program.
The Ohio native told ESPN the big news last Thursday. Through the LeBron James Family Foundation and the University of Akron, students who meet program requirements will attend college on a full four-year scholarship, according to the Huffington Post.
The program is currently comprised of elementary and middle school students. Good attendance and grades will be taken into consideration for students to be eligible. The first batch of recipients will graduate high school in 2021, with another 1,200 students predicted to join, helping the number of possible scholarships to reach a total of 2,300.
James also announced the big news via Twitter:
Calling it “a special movement,” the athlete said he understands the hardships of parents unable to send their children to college thanks to money troubles.
“I think it’s probably one of the best things I’ve ever been apart of,” James said. “This is very special to me. As a kid growing up in the inner city and as an African American kid, you don’t really think past high school because it’s not possible or your family can’t support you. For us to be able to do something like this … it means so much.”
University of Akron president Scott Scarborough told reporters the school will rename its College of Education after James’ foundation.
A full semester at the university is estimated to be over $9,00 and a full four-year scholarship adds up to about $38,000.
SOURCE: Huffington Post | VIDEO CREDIT: NDN
A Little Positivity: LeBron James To Send Over 1,000 Students To Akron U was originally published on newsone.com
Also On Z 107.9:
See The Kardashian/Jenners Dramatic Transformation Over 10 Years
24 photos Launch gallery
1. When KUWTK premiered in 2007, the Kardashian/Jenner klan was still bright eyed and bushy tailed.
1 of 24
2. Kim Kardashian
2 of 24
3. Back then, she was known as the girl from the sex tape and barely knew how to pose of the red carpet.
3 of 24
4. Kim’s Love Life
4 of 24
5. Kim & Kourtney Kardashian before KUWTK debuted (2006)
5 of 24
6. Kourtney Kardashian
6 of 24
7. But her tumultuous relationship with Scott Disick kept fans interested in her story.
7 of 24
8. 3 kids and 10 years later, hot mama Kourt is single and ready to mingle.
8 of 24
9. Khloe Kardashian
9 of 24
10. We watched her fall in love and marry Lamar Odom within 30 days — and divorce him four years later
10 of 24
11. We also saw her try to get her mojo back with some of the hottest rappers and athletes in the game after a difficult divorce.
11 of 24
12. These days, the rumoured mom-to-be is spending her days in Cleveland with boyfriend Tristan Thompson.
12 of 24
13. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner (2007)
13 of 24
14. Kendall Jenner
14 of 24
15. Back in 2013, Kendall decided to take her love for modeling seriously and now she’s the most sought after supermodel in the game.
15 of 24
16. Kylie Jenner
16 of 24
17. But about six years into the show, the rumoured mom-to-be proved that she had the potential to be the new star of the family.
17 of 24
18. Rob Kardashian
18 of 24
19. Rob Kardashian And Blac Chyna
19 of 24
20. Kris Jenner
20 of 24
21. Kris and Caitlyn Jenner
21 of 24
22. Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble
22 of 24
23. Bruce Jenner
23 of 24
24. Caitlyn Jenner
24 of 24