Can a Black person be accused of cultural appropriation?
This is the question that’s arisen from Coldplay’s new video “Hymn for the Weekend” that features Beyoncé dressed as an Indian woman. Upon the debut of the video on Friday, a conversation quickly began, focused on Queen Bey’s sari, bindi and henna look.
As noted by The Root’s Angela Bronner Helm: The issue for some is that Beyoncé was making all sorts of twirling hand gestures that apparently don’t really mean anything and have no connection to authentic Indian dance. Additionally, there was a real Bollywood actress, Sonam Kapoor, in the video, but she plays the back significantly.
The conundrum in the controversy is that African-Americans, who are constant victims of cultural appropriation, aren’t often publicly on the other end of the offense. In their 2012 video for “Princess of China” Coldplay tapped Rihanna to be the lead, dressed in tradition Chinese attire. That video sparked controversy as well for mimicking a culture neither band nor featured singer were a part of.
In both videos the lead singer Chris Martin is dressed in jeans and a t-shirt with no discerning cultural pickups.
We’re starting to see a trend here…
While the conversation is still going on, we should note that art is subjective. But on the same note, art can also be incredibly offensive.
Beyoncé May Have Delayed Her Album For This Reason
AM BUZZ: B*tch, That’s Beyonce! Singer Caught Practicing For Superbowl; Channing Tatum’s Tribute To Wife & More…
Anything For Channing ‘Tatyum’: How ‘Lip Sync Battle’ Booked Beyoncé
Beyoncé Accused Of Cultural Appropriation In Coldplay Video was originally published on hellobeautiful.com
Also On Z 107.9:
See The Kardashian/Jenners Dramatic Transformation Over 10 Years
24 photos Launch gallery
1. When KUWTK premiered in 2007, the Kardashian/Jenner klan was still bright eyed and bushy tailed.
1 of 24
2. Kim Kardashian
2 of 24
3. Back then, she was known as the girl from the sex tape and barely knew how to pose of the red carpet.
3 of 24
4. Kim’s Love Life
4 of 24
5. Kim & Kourtney Kardashian before KUWTK debuted (2006)
5 of 24
6. Kourtney Kardashian
6 of 24
7. But her tumultuous relationship with Scott Disick kept fans interested in her story.
7 of 24
8. 3 kids and 10 years later, hot mama Kourt is single and ready to mingle.
8 of 24
9. Khloe Kardashian
9 of 24
10. We watched her fall in love and marry Lamar Odom within 30 days — and divorce him four years later
10 of 24
11. We also saw her try to get her mojo back with some of the hottest rappers and athletes in the game after a difficult divorce.
11 of 24
12. These days, the rumoured mom-to-be is spending her days in Cleveland with boyfriend Tristan Thompson.
12 of 24
13. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner (2007)
13 of 24
14. Kendall Jenner
14 of 24
15. Back in 2013, Kendall decided to take her love for modeling seriously and now she’s the most sought after supermodel in the game.
15 of 24
16. Kylie Jenner
16 of 24
17. But about six years into the show, the rumoured mom-to-be proved that she had the potential to be the new star of the family.
17 of 24
18. Rob Kardashian
18 of 24
19. Rob Kardashian And Blac Chyna
19 of 24
20. Kris Jenner
20 of 24
21. Kris and Caitlyn Jenner
21 of 24
22. Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble
22 of 24
23. Bruce Jenner
23 of 24
24. Caitlyn Jenner
24 of 24