Aside from having a chart-topping hit and getting engaged to her baller boo, 2015 was not the best year for Aussie rapper Iggy Azalea. Now that the dust is settled, Azalea is opening up about how the cultural appropriation talk, beefs with other artists, and plastic surgery bashing all had a snowball affect that lead to an emotional breakdown.
“I had to have a psychotic breakdown last year,” the “Fancy” rapper, 25, revealed in the latest issue of Schön! Magazine. “I felt tired and stressed out.” Arch enemy Azealia Banks and even fellow white rapper Macklemore were all very vocal about the hypocrisy of Iggy’s failure to champion for issues in the Black community while simultaneously profiting off Black culture. That, no doubt, had a damaging effect on Iggy’s image, leading people to think of her as a privilege white girl rather than a serious artist.
“Last year, I felt like I was definitely not in control of the media’s narrative of me,” she said. “It made me feel very out of control of my own life or my ability to have my own perception of who I was. You don’t want someone else writing your narrative and making you the villain. Then I just realized that, you know what, you can’t control it and I think I accepted that and moved on to living my life.”
Iggy’s Great Escape Tour was cancelled before ever stepping foot on the stage, which she attributed to a change in creative direction. With all of 2015’s botched antics, Iggy says she’s put the past behind her and is ready to move forward. “See? It’s too much stuff! I’ve got to have a wedding and go on a f–king honeymoon and … put on an arena tour, all across the whole world,” she dished to the mag.
No album release dates or tours have been confirmed at the moment, but a location and date have been set. Of course, she won’t be spilling any of that any time soon.
PHOTOS OF THE DAY: Jared Leto, Iggy Azalea, Chanel Iman, & More
1. Fresh off his dope role as Eazy-E, Jason Mitchell was all smiles at the European premiere of "Straight Outta Compton" at the CineStar Sony Center in Berlin.Source:Splash News 1 of 10
2. Iggy Azalea shouts for joy as she celebrated Bond's 100th Birthday with Pat Rafter and Bond Models at Cafe Sydney.Source:Splash News 2 of 10
3. Love & Hip-Hop: Hollywood's Nikki Mudarris proved she's always camera ready while leaving 1Oak Nightclub in West Hollywood.Source:Splash News 3 of 10
4. Still got it! Wesley Snipes parties at Bootsy Bellows nightclub in West Hollywood and from the look of things, he won.Source:Splash News 4 of 10
5. Jared Leto's green hair was on fleek as he left LAX Airport.Source:Splash News 5 of 10
6. Dascha Polanco stopped by the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note 5 Launch party in West Hollywood last night.Source:Splash News 6 of 10
7. Chanel Iman was stunning at the W Hotels Worldwide's WXXX is NEXT event.Source:Splash News 7 of 10
8. Ashton Irwin of 5 Seconds of Summer stopped to take some selfies outside of LAX Airport.Source:Splash News 8 of 10
9. Russell Simmons hit the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note 5 Launch party carpet with Chloe Flower and Nicole Scherzinger.Source:Splash News 9 of 10
10. J. Cole performed at the Perfect Vodka Amphitheater in West Palm Beach, Florida.Source:Splash News 10 of 10
Iggy Azalea Spills On Her 2015 Psychotic Breakdown & Media Perception was originally published on globalgrind.com