Friends and family welcomed one of the newest Olympic qualifiers back to Cleveland on Monday.
Fresh off a weekend that produced a trip to Rio and a gold medal, 18-year-old Charles Conwell entered the terminal at Cleveland Hopkins Airport to a large group of supporters ready to congratulate him on quite a performance in Argentina.
The middleweight boxer from Cleveland Heights defeated Colombia’s Jorge Luis Vivas Palacios on Friday to earn a spot on Team USA in the Rio Games, then beat Misael Uziel Rodriguez Olivas in the 75 kg middleweight finals to bring home a gold medal.
“From the beginning of the tournament, I knew I was going to go home with the gold,” Conwell told reporters at the airport Monday. “I had a strategy and a game plan when it came to it, and I followed it and accomplished what I went there to accomplish.”
READ MORE: Cleveland19.com
Article and Picture Courtesy of WOIO Cleveland 19 News
Rihanna, Drake And #Megan In Miami
1. 14561703626805Source:Getty 1 of 11
2. 14511694390329Source:Getty 2 of 11
3. 14553826713777Source:Getty 3 of 11
4. 14564091038324Source:Getty 4 of 11
5. 14563505857021Source:Getty 5 of 11
6. 14564036234683Source:Getty 6 of 11
7. 14559336817502Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. 14561665017692Source:Hot 1079 8 of 11
9. 14564036033366Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. 14574519666409Source:Getty 10 of 11
11. 14581003388001Source:Getty 11 of 11
Local Boxer Charles Conwell Heading to the Rio Olympics!! was originally published on wzakcleveland.com