Two women have filed a class action lawsuit against L’Oréal and its hair care brand SoftSheen-Carson claiming that one of its popular hair relaxer kits causes hair loss and scalp burns.
According to Cosmetic Business, SoftSheen-Carson Optimum Amla Legend No-Mix, No-Lye Relaxer claims that they have replaced lye with Indian fruit oil and Amla oils, but that the relaxer’s ingredients have caused hair loss and breakage, and scalp irritation, blisters and burns among thousands of women per Amazon reviews. The lawsuit also states that it’s not clear if the product is actually no-lye, given that online it says it contains “sodium hydroxide.”
One key plaintiff, Dorothy Riles, who has been forced to wear a wig, claims the relaxer left her with bald patches, burns and scabs. The other one, Sharon Manier said that immediately using the product, she experienced scalp irritation and, after washing it out, she saw “significant” hair loss.
The lawsuit also states that consumers were tricked into using the line’s products because of celebrity endorsements from Cynthia Bailey, Tracee Ellis Ross and Michelle Obama’s hair stylist, Clutch noted.
The plaintiffs are asking for their trial to be heard in front of a jury and are seeking $5 million in damages.
Dismissed! Plagiarism Lawsuit Against Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ Gets Thrown Out
Tatyana Ali Sues Warner Brothers, Says ‘The Real’ Was Her Idea
Black Women Sue L’Oréal, Claim Relaxer Caused Hair Loss And Scalp Burns was originally published on hellobeautiful.com
Also On Z 107.9:
See The Kardashian/Jenners Dramatic Transformation Over 10 Years
24 photos Launch gallery
1. When KUWTK premiered in 2007, the Kardashian/Jenner klan was still bright eyed and bushy tailed.
1 of 24
2. Kim Kardashian
2 of 24
3. Back then, she was known as the girl from the sex tape and barely knew how to pose of the red carpet.
3 of 24
4. Kim’s Love Life
4 of 24
5. Kim & Kourtney Kardashian before KUWTK debuted (2006)
5 of 24
6. Kourtney Kardashian
6 of 24
7. But her tumultuous relationship with Scott Disick kept fans interested in her story.
7 of 24
8. 3 kids and 10 years later, hot mama Kourt is single and ready to mingle.
8 of 24
9. Khloe Kardashian
9 of 24
10. We watched her fall in love and marry Lamar Odom within 30 days — and divorce him four years later
10 of 24
11. We also saw her try to get her mojo back with some of the hottest rappers and athletes in the game after a difficult divorce.
11 of 24
12. These days, the rumoured mom-to-be is spending her days in Cleveland with boyfriend Tristan Thompson.
12 of 24
13. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner (2007)
13 of 24
14. Kendall Jenner
14 of 24
15. Back in 2013, Kendall decided to take her love for modeling seriously and now she’s the most sought after supermodel in the game.
15 of 24
16. Kylie Jenner
16 of 24
17. But about six years into the show, the rumoured mom-to-be proved that she had the potential to be the new star of the family.
17 of 24
18. Rob Kardashian
18 of 24
19. Rob Kardashian And Blac Chyna
19 of 24
20. Kris Jenner
20 of 24
21. Kris and Caitlyn Jenner
21 of 24
22. Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble
22 of 24
23. Bruce Jenner
23 of 24
24. Caitlyn Jenner
24 of 24