Ahead of the long-awaited June 9 release of Prince’s “Purple Rain Deluxe” reissue, the tracklist for the bonus discs has leaked.
A source calling itself “The Violet Reality” was the first to reveal that the songs had been registered, and proceeded to track down the ISRC codes (a.k.a, the international system for the identification of recorded music and music videos).
A rep for Warner Bros., which is releasing the album, has yet to confirm or deny the leaked tracklist, according to Variety. However, a source close to the situation confirmed the tracklist’s general accuracy.
According to Variety, Disc #1 is presumably the original album, while Disc #2 contains edits, extended versions and B-sides from the five singles released from the album; the extended versions have long been out of circulation.
Disc #3 is said to contain all previously unreleased material from the “Purple Rain” era. Many of those songs have long been available on bootlegs or were given to other artists by Prince (or, in the case of “We Can F—,” re-recorded by Prince years later), but many have not.
The set is also scheduled to include two concert films, one of which is presumably the “Prince and the Revolution Live!” video filmed in Syracuse, New York in March of 1985 — one of the last dates of the 100-date “Purple Rain” tour.
View the leaked tracklist details below, via Variety:
Disc 2: Edits & extended mixes
When Doves Cry (7” single edit)
17 Days (single edit)
Let’s Go Crazy (single edit)
Erotic City (single edit)
Purple Rain (single edit)
God (single edit)
God (Love Theme From Purple Rain) (instrumental)
Another Lonely Christmas (single edit)
I Would Die 4 U (single edit)
Baby I’m a Star (single edit)
Take Me With U (single edit)
Erotic City (extended version)
Another Lonely Christmas (extended version)
I Would Die 4 U (extended version)
Disc 3: From the Vault
The Dance Electric (11:29) bandmate Andre Cymone)
Love and Sex (5:00)
Computer Blue (“Hallway Speech” version) (12:18)
Velvet Kitty Cat (2:32)
Katrina’s Paper Dolls (3:30)
We Can F— (10:17)
Electric Intercourse (studio version) (4:57)
Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden (6:25)
Wonderful A— (6:24)
Father’s Song (5:30)
- “The Dance Electric” was recorded by former Prince bandmate Andre Cymone and was occasionally performed live by Prince.
- “We Can F—” was released by Prince on the 1990 “Graffiti Bridge” soundtrack (and featured George Clinton; multiple different bootleg versions of the song have circulated on bootlegs.
- “Electric Intercourse” is a ballad that was bumped from the original album in favor of “The Beautiful Ones,” which is similar in feel. Two different live versions have circulated on bootlegs.
- “Our Destiny” was performed live at least once in 1984.
- “Possessed,” supposedly inspired by a James Brown concert, was performed frequently on the 1984-85 “Purple Rain” tour.
- “Wonderful A—,” a duet with Wendy and Lisa, has long circulated on bootlegs.
- “Father’s Song” appears as incidental music in the “Purple Rain” film and constitutes the middle section of “Computer Blue” — it was co-written by Prince with his father, John Nelson.
Article Courtesy of EURweb
Picture Courtesy of Ebet Roberts and Getty Images