First, Floyd Mayweather bought himself a Bentley as a “going to jail” present, and was supposed to report to a correctional facility today…and now he doesn’t even begin his sentence until June.
Lil Wayne’s sentence was delayed so he could see a dentist, so I guess it’s cool that Pretty Boy Floyd’s sentence has been delayed so he can a Cinco de Mayo fight…? Boy, the things money can do…
A judge agreed Friday to postpone a jail sentence against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a Las Vegas domestic violence case, allowing the undefeated boxer to make a Cinco de Mayo fight against an as-yet unnamed opponent.
The ruling by Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa to allow Mayweather to begin his 90-day stint on June 1 came with the fighter’s manager and supporters, including rap star Lil’ Kim and R&B artist Ray J, in the courtroom as a defense lawyer cited the economic boost that Las Vegas could get from the bout.
Mayweather, meanwhile, waited in the lobby of a nearby building to hear whether Saragosa would make him immediately begin serving the three-month sentence she imposed when the boxing champion pleaded guilty last month to a charge that he attacked his ex-girlfriend while two of their children watched in September 2010.
Saragosa said she was swayed by the last-minute plea from Mayweather’s lawyer, Richard Wright, to let Mayweather postpone jail time so he can train to fight on the May 5 date his promoters promised months ago to pay-per-view television and the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Wright said Mayweather wasn’t trying to avoid the sentence, and emphasized the potential economic benefit of attracting fight fans and hotel guests to Las Vegas for a Mayweather fight. The lawyer estimated that Mayweather’s last seven fights in Las Vegas generated a combined $1 billion in business to the community. He projected the economic boost from a May 5 fight at more than $100 million.
“This is simply a delay because of prior commitments and contracts,” Wright said.
“Mr. Mayweather has an obligation to this court,” the judge responded. But “given the fact that Mr. Mayweather has these obligations, I am going to grant your request.”
Prosecutor Lisa Luzaich protested that Mayweather should have to serve his sentence “just like anyone else.”
Saragosa ordered Mayweather to immediately enroll in a yearlong domestic violence counseling program, and noted that under her original sentence, Mayweather faces an additional three months in jail if he doesn’t comply. Mayweather also must complete 100 hours of community service and pay a $2,500 fine.
The judge didn’t mention a promise that Mayweather’s lawyers made in court last month that the boxer would donate $100,000 by the end of the year to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast cancer research and support foundation in Las Vegas.
The nonprofit operates with about a $1 million annual budget, foundation executive Stephanie Kirby said Friday. Kirby said Mayweather’s lawyers have contacted the organization, but the donation has not been made.
Mayweather, 34, was seen leaving the courthouse area driving a new white Bentley Mulsanne, which has a base price of about $290,000. Mayweather posted photos of a new Bentley luxury sedan this week on his Twitter account, along with separate photos of himself with his children and himself serving people at a food line.
Mayweather’s manager, Leonard Ellerbe, issued a statement later saying the Mayweather camp was pleased the judge granted the postponement to allow for what he termed a “mega-fight.” He wouldn’t say whom Mayweather expects to fight.
Oh there’s more foolishness here.