CLEVELAND — The son of Ariel Castro spoke out for the first time Monday morning during an exclusive interview with Savannah Guthrie on the “Today” show.
Anthony Castro, who says he has no plans to visit his father in prison, says life behind bars is “the best possible sentence.”
He also said he was shocked by the magnitude of the crime and couldn’t believe anybody could do something like this — especially somebody from his own flesh and blood.
Growing up, Anthony Castro says his father was strict and explained that it wasn’t unusual for him to have locks on the basement door of the infamous Seymour Avenue home.
During more recent visits to the house, Anthony Castro says his father would wave him in a back door and they would briefly talk in the kitchen.
He says most of his visits there were spent outdoors.
Ariel Castro, 53, will be sentenced Thursday after pleading guilty last week to more than 900 counts against him. He was charged in the disappearance of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight — all of whom he held captive in his home for years.
Ariel Castro was arrested after the women were found alive in May.
Article and Picture Courtesy of WKYC Channel 3 News