via The Hollywood Reporter magazine written by Chris Rock.
I was probably 19 when I first came to Hollywood. Eddie Murphy brought me out to do Beverly Hills Cop II and he had a deal at Paramount, so I remember going through the gates of the Paramount lot. He’s in a Rolls-Royce, and he’s not just a star, he’s the biggest star in the world.Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer‘s office was in the same building as Eddie’s office, and they would come to work every day with matching cars. Some days it would be the Porsches, and the next day it would be Ferraris. I was like the kid in A Bronx Tale. I got to just hang around when the biggest parts of show business were happening. I was only there a couple of weeks, but I remember every day Jeffrey Katzenberg would call Eddie Murphy — I don’t even know if Eddie was calling him back — but it was like, “Jeffrey Katzenberg called again.” “Janet Jacksonjust called.” “Michael Jackson called.” It was that crazy. I’ve still never seen anything like it. I had a small part in the movie, but my dream was bigger than that. I wanted to have a convertible Rolls-Royce with a fine girl driving down Melrose blasting Prince.
Now I’m not Murphy, but I’ve done fine. And I try to help young black guys coming up because those people took chances on me. Eddie didn’t have to put me in Beverly Hills Cop II. Keenen Wayans didn’t have to put me in I’m Gonna Git You Sucka. Arsenio didn’t have to let me on his show. I’d do the same for a young white guy, but here’s the difference: Someone’s going to help the white guy. Multiple people will. The people whom I’ve tried to help, I’m not sure anybody was going to help them. Read full essay here
Celebs Who Rock or Rocked Dreadlocks12 photos Launch gallery
1. Lauryn HillSource:Evan Agostini/Invision/AP 1 of 12
2. GoapeleSource:Aaron J. Thornton / PR Photos 2 of 12
3. Lisa BonetSource:Glenn Harris / Photorazzi 3 of 12
4. Stevie WonderSource:Guillermo Proano / PR Photos 4 of 12
5. 2 Chainz still rocks dreadlocks!Source:Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP 5 of 12
6. WaleSource:Laurence Agron / PR Photos 6 of 12
7. T-PainSource:AP Photo/Branden Camp 7 of 12
8. Malcolm-Jamal WarnerSource:Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP 8 of 12
9. NBA player Chris Bosh used to rock dreadlocks.Source:AP Photo/Darren Abate 9 of 12
10. AJ CallowaySource:Aaron J. Thornton / PR Photos 10 of 12
11. Kim FieldsSource:Utho "denny" Coxall / PR Photos 11 of 12
12. Lenny KravitzSource:Wild1 / PR Photos 12 of 12