The KwaZulu-Natal municipality in South Africa introduced a new scholarship for teenage girls who remained virgins during their time in school, SA People reports.
The idea behind the “Maidens Bursary Award” came from UThukela District Mayor Dudu Mazibuko. The South African mayor said the scholarships were given to a group of 16 young women.
In 2013, it was reported that 182,000 South African high school girls faced pregnancy. Many of them are Black, live below the poverty line, and are as young as 14 when they have their first child.
Mazibuko said the scholarship was created to reduce the rate of pregnancies and keep the teens away from older men.
In order for the teens to prove their virginity, they must be tested regularly. The scholarship, given out on January 11, was met with harsh criticism from women’s advocate group People Opposing Women Abuse.
SA People reports:
“POWA advocates for bringing an end to the culture of virginity testing as it infringes on the Constitutional Right to Privacy,” said Palesa Mpapa, legal manager for POWA, in a statement. “It also is a discriminatory practice against girls as boys are never publicly tested for virginity, yet they are parties to the cause for loss of virginity. This practice stigmatises girls who could have lost virginity through rape or incest.
“Worse this is a patriarchal mechanism of controlling women’s sexuality for marriage and it does not link to educational success.”
Mfanozelwe Shozi, the country’s chairman for the Commission for Gender Equality, agreed the scholarships are going too far.
SOURCE: Gawker, SA People | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Roe v. Wade Turns 43 & Women Are Still Fighting Against Anti-Abortion Laws
Doctors Discover New Ebola Case In Sierra Leone
Also On Z 107.9:
See The Kardashian/Jenners Dramatic Transformation Over 10 Years
24 photos Launch gallery
1. When KUWTK premiered in 2007, the Kardashian/Jenner klan was still bright eyed and bushy tailed.
1 of 24
2. Kim Kardashian
2 of 24
3. Back then, she was known as the girl from the sex tape and barely knew how to pose of the red carpet.
3 of 24
4. Kim’s Love Life
4 of 24
5. Kim & Kourtney Kardashian before KUWTK debuted (2006)
5 of 24
6. Kourtney Kardashian
6 of 24
7. But her tumultuous relationship with Scott Disick kept fans interested in her story.
7 of 24
8. 3 kids and 10 years later, hot mama Kourt is single and ready to mingle.
8 of 24
9. Khloe Kardashian
9 of 24
10. We watched her fall in love and marry Lamar Odom within 30 days — and divorce him four years later
10 of 24
11. We also saw her try to get her mojo back with some of the hottest rappers and athletes in the game after a difficult divorce.
11 of 24
12. These days, the rumoured mom-to-be is spending her days in Cleveland with boyfriend Tristan Thompson.
12 of 24
13. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner (2007)
13 of 24
14. Kendall Jenner
14 of 24
15. Back in 2013, Kendall decided to take her love for modeling seriously and now she’s the most sought after supermodel in the game.
15 of 24
16. Kylie Jenner
16 of 24
17. But about six years into the show, the rumoured mom-to-be proved that she had the potential to be the new star of the family.
17 of 24
18. Rob Kardashian
18 of 24
19. Rob Kardashian And Blac Chyna
19 of 24
20. Kris Jenner
20 of 24
21. Kris and Caitlyn Jenner
21 of 24
22. Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble
22 of 24
23. Bruce Jenner
23 of 24
24. Caitlyn Jenner
24 of 24