Whether he’s letting those Twitter fingers fly, rapping, or giving a speech at an award ceremony, when Kanye West speaks, we listen.
In true Gemini style, the 38-year-old father of two never holds back – the moment he ruined Taylor Swift‘s 2009 VMA shine with “Yo, Taylor, I’m really happy for you. I’ma let you finish, but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time!” is a notorious example of Yeezy word vomit. But there’s more, and a lot of it is recent.
Just days ago, while prepping for the release of his seventh solo album, The Life of Pablo, ‘Ye revealed his thoughts on Bill Cosby and his sexual assault accusers. “BILL COSBY INNOCENT !!!!!!!!!!,” ‘Ye wrote in a tweet heard ’round the nation. The random (and controversial) statement came just after Kanye’s war of words with Wiz Khalifa, during which he touched on who owned Wiz’s son, as well as the Taylor Gang rapper’s “cool pants” and ex-wife Amber Rose.
The list goes on and on. Kanye’s definitely not the guy who always says the right thing in the moment, but in his defense, there were plenty of times he said the things we were all thinking, but were too afraid to. For example, ‘Ye ain’t the only one who hates in-app purchases:
But whether we feel offended or defended by him at the time, Kanye has consistently made bold statements that we’ll never forget. Here are 11 more examples of Kanye moments that were bigger than the music.
After Hurricane Katrina, Kanye went on live television and told viewers, “George Bush doesn’t care about Black people” – and it was all during a fundraiser for victims.
Earlier that week, he’d released his second solo album, Late Registration, which some felt was not a coincidence.
While performing on VH1 Storytellers in 2009, Kanye said: “My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.”
On his highly praised song, “Jesus Walks,” Kanye raps: “They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus – that means guns, sex, lies, video tapes, but if I talk about God, my record won’t get played?”
Back in 2013, Kanye infamously sat down with Sway Calloway, who inquired about the rapper’s recent rants regarding his dreams of designing. When things got heated, Kanye dropped a line fans and critics would repeat a million times over: “You ain’t got the answers, Sway!”
Here’s how Kanye feels about himself: “I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period. By a long jump. I honestly feel that because Steve has passed, you know, it’s like when Biggie passed, and Jay Z was allowed to become Jay Z.”
Kanye teamed up with author J. Sakiya Sandifer to bring the people Thank You And You’re Welcome, a book full of his personal philosophies and Kanye-isms. Kanye asked within the text: “Would you believe in what you believe in if you were the only one who believed it?”
Sleep on that and get back to us.
On his College Dropout anthem, “All Falls Down,” ‘Ye boldly declared: “We’ll buy a lot of clothes when we don’t really need ’em/Things we buy to cover up what’s inside/Cause they make us hate our-self and love they wealth.”
On another College Dropout track, “Never Let You Down,” Kanye rapped:
“Now n*ggas can’t make it to the ballots to choose leadership/But we can make it to Jacob and to the dealership/That’s why I hear new music and I just don’t be feelin’ it/Racism still alive they just be concealin’ it”
Kanye’s here, but he’s actually in the future. True story: “I see stuff from the future, and I’m such a futurist that I have to slow down and talk in the present.”
Kanye went on The Breakfast Club last year and had this to say about his ex Amber Rose when she got caught in some Kardashian/Jenner beef: “If Kim had dated me when I first wanted to be with her, there wouldn’t be an Amber Rose…It’s very hard for a woman to want to be with someone that’s with Amber Rose. So she wasn’t sending nothing. I had to take 30 showers before I got with Kim. Don’t ask me no more. I wanna be respectful.”
Nothing but respect followed.
According to Kanye, Kim K. is better than Michelle Obama is at Instagram:
“There’s no way Kim Kardashian shouldn’t be on the cover of Vogue. She’s like the most intriguing woman right now. She’s got Barbara Walters calling her like every day … and collectively we’re the most influential with clothing. No one is looking at what [President] Obama is wearing. Michelle Obama cannot Instagram a pic like what my girl Instagrammed the other day.”
We’ve got a feeling we can expect more unforgettable Kanye quotes soon.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Splash News
Every Time North West Channeled Kanye West
1. Natural EntertainerSource:Splash News 1 of 42
2. Just Playin'Source:Splash News 2 of 42
3. Daddy's PrincessSource:Splash News 3 of 42
4. North West Fur'd OutSource:Splash News 4 of 42
5. Just NorthSource:Splash News 5 of 42
6. North West in her statement pieceSource:Splash News 6 of 42
7. North West loves fashion just like her daddySource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Peek-A-Boo North West!Source:Splash News 8 of 42
9. North West rocking a fur coatSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. "Stand back Kim, I'll handle this."Source:Getty 10 of 42
11. 'Ye at his most Yeeziest.Source:Getty 11 of 42
12. Baby Ye.12 of 42
13. Baby NorthSource:Splash News 13 of 42
14. North rocks black leather as well as her daddy does.Source:Getty 14 of 42
15. SplashSource:Splash News 15 of 42
16. Life is hard for a WestSource:Splash News 16 of 42
17. North West on a playdateSource:Splash News 17 of 42
18. What's the matter North?Source:Splash News 18 of 42
19. North and 'Ye get all matchy, matchy on us.Source:Getty 19 of 42
20. Daddy's Little GirlSource:Splash News 20 of 42
21. Twinsies! North and Kanye rock hoodies.Source:Getty 21 of 42
22. Need we say more?22 of 42
23. North's "You must be crazy" Kanye face.Source:Getty 23 of 42
24. North shoos the paparazzi away from her mom.Source:Splash News 24 of 42
25. In true 'Ye fashion, Nori rocks Timbs & a trench coat.Source:Getty 25 of 42
26. North tries to figure out what everyone's deal is.Source:Splash News 26 of 42
27. North only smiles in front of cameras sometimes - just like dad.Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Miss 'tude.Source:Splash News 28 of 42
29. Shmood!Source:Splash News 29 of 42
30. Kanye & Nori express their concern.Source:Splash News 30 of 42
31. His x Hers.Source:Splash News 31 of 42
32. Daddy's baby.Source:Getty 32 of 42
33. North gives the paparazzi a piece of her mind.Source:Splash News 33 of 42
34. That menacing mean mug.Source:Getty 34 of 42
35. Nope, not satisfied.35 of 42
36. North protects her mom, just like dad would.Source:Splash News 36 of 42
37. Smile for what?37 of 42
38. Completely and utterly fed up.Source:Splash News 38 of 42
39. All black everything biker ballerina baby.Source:Splash News 39 of 42
40. North clowns the paparazzi, just like dad would if he were there...Source:Splash News 40 of 42
41. North captures Kanye's 2012 swag.Source:Getty 41 of 42
42. Best CousinsSource:Splash News 42 of 42
Yeezy Season In Full Effect: 13 Kanye West Moments That Were Bigger Than The Music was originally published on globalgrind.com