If 2015 has taught us anything, it’s that discussions about race haven’t changed much.
The arguments “not all White people are racist,” “he has a Black girlfriend,” or “I have Black friends” are problematic, since they play down the plight of racism and the myriad discriminatory experiences African-Americans face in this country.
The Huffington Post points this out perfectly with a throwback video of the legendary Muhammad Ali speaking about the “not all White people” argument.
During his 1971 interview with BBC’s Michael Parkinson, the legendary boxer and activist explained why the argument will always be null and void.
The Huffington Post reports:
“There are many white people who mean right and in their hearts wanna do right,” he said. “If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn’t want to bite me, I knew they were good… Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, hoping that that thousand get together and form a shield? Or should I just close the door and stay safe?”
Ali’s words are still applicable today. Just this year, the MTV documentary White People tapped into White millennials’ idea of race and privilege. The intent to give another perspective regarding race was present, but the participants ended up portraying themselves as victims in a diverse country and were hesitant to address race head-on.
It’s a difficult conversation, but as we know, old habits can die-hard.
SOURCE: The Huffington Post | VIDEO CREDIT: Tumblr
Congressional Lawmakers Call On HHS To Address Alarming Disparities In Breast Cancer Care For Black Women
Half Of Black Millennials Know A Police Brutality Victim
Don’t Miss Our Hottest Stories! Get The NewsOne Flip App for iPhone: Flip, Skip — Or Send Us a Tip!
#TBT: You Need To Watch Muhammad Ali’s 1971 Response To The “Not All White People Are Racist” Rhetoric was originally published on newsone.com
Also On Z 107.9:
See The Kardashian/Jenners Dramatic Transformation Over 10 Years
24 photos Launch gallery
1. When KUWTK premiered in 2007, the Kardashian/Jenner klan was still bright eyed and bushy tailed.
1 of 24
2. Kim Kardashian
2 of 24
3. Back then, she was known as the girl from the sex tape and barely knew how to pose of the red carpet.
3 of 24
4. Kim’s Love Life
4 of 24
5. Kim & Kourtney Kardashian before KUWTK debuted (2006)
5 of 24
6. Kourtney Kardashian
6 of 24
7. But her tumultuous relationship with Scott Disick kept fans interested in her story.
7 of 24
8. 3 kids and 10 years later, hot mama Kourt is single and ready to mingle.
8 of 24
9. Khloe Kardashian
9 of 24
10. We watched her fall in love and marry Lamar Odom within 30 days — and divorce him four years later
10 of 24
11. We also saw her try to get her mojo back with some of the hottest rappers and athletes in the game after a difficult divorce.
11 of 24
12. These days, the rumoured mom-to-be is spending her days in Cleveland with boyfriend Tristan Thompson.
12 of 24
13. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner (2007)
13 of 24
14. Kendall Jenner
14 of 24
15. Back in 2013, Kendall decided to take her love for modeling seriously and now she’s the most sought after supermodel in the game.
15 of 24
16. Kylie Jenner
16 of 24
17. But about six years into the show, the rumoured mom-to-be proved that she had the potential to be the new star of the family.
17 of 24
18. Rob Kardashian
18 of 24
19. Rob Kardashian And Blac Chyna
19 of 24
20. Kris Jenner
20 of 24
21. Kris and Caitlyn Jenner
21 of 24
22. Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble
22 of 24
23. Bruce Jenner
23 of 24
24. Caitlyn Jenner
24 of 24