While much of the free world was rightfully outraged that a Black boy was featured in an advertisement by H&M wearing a hoodie deeming him “Coolest Monkey In The Jungle,” the mother of the boy thought otherwise. Terry Mango emerged from the sunken place and broke her silence about the matter via social media, essentially telling everyone to stop bringing the matter to her doorstep.
Mango, who is of Kenya descent and resides in Sweden where H&M is based, replied via Facebook to the chatter surrounding the ad. In so many words, Mango felt that the response to her son modeling the hoodie was over the top and had a slight message for the critics.
“Stop crying wolf all the time. Unnecessary issue here, get over it,” Mango wrote. When pressed on if she understood the reasons why people were angered, Mango doubled down and said she understood but was still largely unmoved.
Mango is certainly entitled to her opinion and yes, this is her son folks are talking about. However, while she might not see the problem, the ad itself is problematic and there’s nothing wrong with pointing that out.
Best believe if her son makes it big in the fashion world that he’ll have to contend with far more racism being a child with dark skin. If there’s some kind of utopia Mango lives in where that isn’t the case, she needs to hand over the directions pronto. Until then, she can keep the sunken place stance to herself.
We’ve captured some reaction to Mango’s comments below and on the following pages, including an Instagram post showing her reaction.
Mom Of Black H&M Model Emerges From Sunken Place, Says “Get Over It!” was originally published on hiphopwired.com
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11Next page »
Also On Z 107.9:
See The Kardashian/Jenners Dramatic Transformation Over 10 Years
24 photos Launch gallery
1. When KUWTK premiered in 2007, the Kardashian/Jenner klan was still bright eyed and bushy tailed.
1 of 24
2. Kim Kardashian
2 of 24
3. Back then, she was known as the girl from the sex tape and barely knew how to pose of the red carpet.
3 of 24
4. Kim’s Love Life
4 of 24
5. Kim & Kourtney Kardashian before KUWTK debuted (2006)
5 of 24
6. Kourtney Kardashian
6 of 24
7. But her tumultuous relationship with Scott Disick kept fans interested in her story.
7 of 24
8. 3 kids and 10 years later, hot mama Kourt is single and ready to mingle.
8 of 24
9. Khloe Kardashian
9 of 24
10. We watched her fall in love and marry Lamar Odom within 30 days — and divorce him four years later
10 of 24
11. We also saw her try to get her mojo back with some of the hottest rappers and athletes in the game after a difficult divorce.
11 of 24
12. These days, the rumoured mom-to-be is spending her days in Cleveland with boyfriend Tristan Thompson.
12 of 24
13. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, Kendall Jenner (2007)
13 of 24
14. Kendall Jenner
14 of 24
15. Back in 2013, Kendall decided to take her love for modeling seriously and now she’s the most sought after supermodel in the game.
15 of 24
16. Kylie Jenner
16 of 24
17. But about six years into the show, the rumoured mom-to-be proved that she had the potential to be the new star of the family.
17 of 24
18. Rob Kardashian
18 of 24
19. Rob Kardashian And Blac Chyna
19 of 24
20. Kris Jenner
20 of 24
21. Kris and Caitlyn Jenner
21 of 24
22. Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble
22 of 24
23. Bruce Jenner
23 of 24
24. Caitlyn Jenner
24 of 24